ARCHIVE

ECape municipality dodges planned power cuts

Payment arrangement has been reached between Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality and Eskom

Eastern Cape municipality dodges planned power cuts

2 May 2018

The Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality in the Eastern Cape and Eskom have announced that planned power supply interruptions in the region have been suspended after the municipality reached an agreement with the power utility.

Eskom previously announced that it would enforce power supply interruptions from Thursday after the municipality failed to pay its mounting debt.

But in a joint statement on Wednesday, it was announced that a payment arrangement had been reached.

"Eskom has taken into consideration all submissions made by the public on this matter. However, the decision not to interrupt the electricity supply was taken as a result of mutually acceptable solutions reached between Eskom and Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality," the statement said.

Fundile Feketshane, spokesperson for the municipality's mayor Sisisi Tolashe, said the municipality wanted to reach an agreement with Eskom to avoid the power cuts, which woulad have affected towns such as Queenstown‚ Tarkastad‚ Hofmeyr‚ Molteno and Sterkstroom.

"Eskom informs all affected parties that, should the Enoch Mgijima Local Municipality deviate from the agreement, Eskom reserves the right to resume with the electricity supply interruptions after 14 days' notice," the statement said.

"Eskom remains mindful of the impact such supply interruptions will have on the consumers. Thus, the interruption of supply to municipalities for non-payment is always implemented as a last resort."

Feketshane said the municipality was hopeful that it would have settled its debt with Eskom before the start of the new financial year in July.

News24