by Herman Manson. According to data supplied by the ABC, total magazine circulation declined by 2.6% compared to the previous quarter, and by 13.5% to the prior year. Some magazines did grow. Total newspaper circulation declined by 1.5% on the previous quarter, and by 6% on the year prior. No newspapers had any growth.
Letter to the South African advertising industry — part 1
by Khethiwe Makhubo. I am writing this letter to you, dear adland, as a black woman who has worked for you short of three years, and in my time here I have experienced how hostile, violent and resistant you are to the black female creative voice.
Young, Gifted & Killing It: Zandi Tisani
by Veli Ngubane. This film director deserves an extra round of applause: she was the only African filmmaker to have her production screened at the 2017 NYTVF — and she won, too.
Zeitz MOCAA — how branding & architecture reinforce culture
by Shane de Lange. As a sanctuary for contemporary art from across the continent of Africa and its diaspora, the approach to design in Zeitz MOCAA is as poetic as its purpose and message.
Brands & Branding: Music to a brand manager’s ear?
by Andy Rice. In whose hands are brands best off? Where should a CMO look for the best counsel? Agencies or the new kid on the block, management consultancies?
Inside Yuppiechef's omnichannel retail strategy
by Kim Penstone. On 1 October 2017, Yuppiechef officially opened the doors to its first brick and mortar store in Willowbridge, Cape Town.
What it takes to be a C#D: Suhana Gordhan’s 23c and Pepe Marais’s 23c
by MarkLives. Over several weeks, we're featuring pearls of wisdom from Mike Schalit's Creative#Director book —Suhana Gordhan and Pepe Marais are up next.
- Ad of the Week: Viva the selfie generation — Cell C and Shake it, Vodacom
- Cover Stories: Thoughtfulness in design 10 Nov 2017 and 3 Nov 2017 — formerly MagLove
- Shelf Life: Joe Public reveals Cell C’s new entertainment platform and Beautiful News a winning formula
- SA TV Ratings: Primetime top 20 for Sep 2017 — SABC 3 and SABC 1
On the Radar:
- Assegai Awards 2017 winners
- New CMO for IMM Graduate School
- Internet advertising in SA hit R3.95bn in 2016
- Epica Awards — six African agencies shortlisted
- 10th Street Media awards PR account
- SA's 2017 Ciclope winners
- 2018 IMC Conference announced
- MMA SA Smarties 2017 winners
- The Times will cease print edition
- One Club Young Guns includes SA winner
- Design Indaba Festival 2018 early bird tickets on sale
Go to MarkLives.com for breaking news, exclusive industry opinion, company news and jobs! Sign up here for the MarkLives email newsletter every Monday and Thursday. Follow MarkLives on Twitter, Facebook, Google+, LinkedIn, Pinterest and YouTube. NEW: Ramify.biz — connecting marketers and agencies free of charge in South Africa, Namibia, Mauritius, Zimbabwe, Botswana — and now Kenya, Nigeria, Tanzania and Uganda!