DA reports ANC's political violence to IEC
29 July 2016
Yesterday the Democratic Alliance in KZN, the IFP and the EFF met with Provincial Electoral Officer Mr Mawethu Mosery and handed over a dossier of incidents of political violence, intimidation and possible breaches of the electoral code of conduct by members of the ANC against our members and activists.
This past weekend, the DA's Provincial Leader Zwakele Mncwango, Msunduzi Mayoral Candidate and Deputy Leader Mergan Chetty and dozens of DA activists were prevented from entering and campaigning in Mbali Township in Msunduzi. ANC members hurled bricks at the passing DA motorcade and one ANC member brandishing a chain-saw attempted to attack DA members and caused damage to the vehicle of the Mayoral candidate.
This incident, together with a dossier of other serious incidents have been handed over to the IEC for investigation and action against the ANC.
Additional incidents reported to the IEC included cases of:
- Attempts to block access to communities by members of the ANC by burning tyres and blockading roads.
- Death threats by the ANC against our candidates if they continued to stand as candidates and canvass for the DA.
- The assault and stabbing of a DA activist at a freedom day celebration by a mob of ANC supporters who attempted to blockade the access road.
- The intimidation of DA activists and ordinary members of the public at an event in Durban where the DA's Federal Leader Mmusi Maimane was to address the community of Palmiet road informal settlement.
- The assault of a DA supporter by a group of armed men who were transporting the Deputy Mayor of UMzimkhulu. In this case, the Deputy Mayors henchmen actively sought out the home of our activist and threatened him and his family with their life if he continued to support and canvass for the DA.
- The attempted blocking of the access to the Mkholombe informal settlement by members of the ANC when the DA's Federal Leader Mmusi Maimane was in KZN to visit the community. police had to be called in to disperse the crown but the they remained in the area intimidating and threatening members of the public who were on route to the event.
- Death threats against DA activists for campaigning in the community of Hibiscus Coast.
- Defacing, removal, damage and theft of DA election posters.
Most of these cases have been reported to the South African Police Services but to date no action has been taken against a single member of the ANC.
As we approach the elections on the 03 August 2016, these incidents are becoming increasingly frequent and more violent in nature.
We have conveyed to the IEC the serious threat to a free and fair election in KZN if the situation had to deteriorate or worsen.
We are therefore calling on the IEC to investigate these cases, implement the provisions of the code of the conduct and hold the ANC accountable in line with the provisions of the electoral act.
Issued by Haniff Hoosen, DA eThekwini Mayoral Candidate, 29 July 2016