Sisulu has 'no knowledge' of EFF Gupta allegation
Johannesburg - Human Settlements Minister Lindiwe Sisulu knows nothing about EFF deputy president Floyd Shivambu’s claim that she was removed from the defence portfolio because of the Gupta family.
"The Minister is unaware and has no knowledge of the allegations made by the EFF," her office said in a statement on Tuesday.
Shivambu claimed at an EFF rally in Uitenhage on Monday that Sisulu was moved from her position of defence minister after she refused to give in to the Gupta family’s demands that a plane lease tender be awarded to their company.
Shivambu alleged the Guptas wanted to sell a plane to the defence department for R4bn, but Sisulu apparently said there were cheaper options.
When she refused to kowtow to the Guptas, she was shifted to the public service and administration portfolio, Shivambu claimed.
Last week’s revelations by Deputy Finance Minister Mcebisi Jonas and former MP Vytjie Mentor that they had been offered Cabinet positions by the Guptas resulted in calls from the public and some party members for the ANC’s national executive committee to take action.
The ANC's NEC discussed the matter during its three-day meeting over the weekend.
Speaking to the media afterwards, ANC secretary general Gwede Mantashe said the NEC had instructed officials and the national working committee to gather all information about the allegations.
Mantashe said the issue was being taken seriously and called on those with evidence to come forward.
Text of the statement:
MINISTER SISULU HAS NO KNOWLEDGE OF ALLEGATIONS BEING SPREAD BY THE EFF
The Minister of Human Settlements, Lindiwe Sisulku, MP, has noted a statement made by the EFF on her tenure as the Minister of Defence and Military Veterans.
The Minister is unaware and has no knowledge of the allegations made by the EFF.
Issued by the Ministry of Human Settlements
Date: 22 March 2016
This article first appeared on News24 – see here.