BREAKING: ANC suspends Jacobs, sends NEC members to assist party in WCape
Cape Town – The African National Congress has officially suspended Western Cape secretary Faiez Jacobs pending the outcome of the assault case against him.
And the party would be sending two National Executive Committee members to assist and support the offices in the province.
This follows a meeting with the ANC top six on Monday with the Western Cape provincial executive committee.
Jacobs was placed on precautionary suspension in December after he was accused of assaulting a staff member.
He went back to work last week after the suspension was set aside.
He was then given 48 hours to explain why he should not be suspended.
Spokesperson Yonela Diko said Jacobs asked for his matter to be moved from the provincial disciplinary committee to national.
The party’s provincial leader Marius Fransman has also been asked to step aside until an investigation into allegations of sexual harassment is completed.
Diko said the NEC members, who would be announced later, would support the party while the deputies would be expected to carry out Fransman and Jacobs’s duties.
This article first appeared on News24 – see here.