W Cape secretary has 48 hours to argue why he shouldn't be suspended - ANC
Johannesburg - Western Cape provincial secretary Faiez Jacobs has 48 hours to give reasons why he should not be suspended from the ANC.
A letter was sent to Jacobs from national officials, national spokesperson Zizi Kodwa said on Thursday.
"The national officials, who have got a responsibility to oversee the constitution of the ANC, referred the matter to the national working committee.
"The national working committee has resolved to suspend him, but further in accordance with the constitution, the NWC has given him 48 hours to respond to allegations of assault made against him."
Kodwa said Jacobs had received the letter on Wednesday.
This comes two days after the ANC's National Disciplinary Committee of Appeals (NDCA) set aside his suspension.
Jacobs was placed on precautionary suspension in December after he was accused of assaulting a staff member.
He went back to work on Tuesday after the suspension was set aside on Monday.
Earlier this week, NDCA chairperson Jeff Radebe, in announcing that Jacob's suspension had been set aside, said a suspension could only follow after the relevant structure had complied with the provisions of Rule 25.57 and it was satisfied that the conditions for temporary suspension existed before a decision was taken to suspend that member.
Radebe said there was no evidence that the rule, which called for the other side to be heard as well, had been fully adhered to.
This article first appeared on News24 – see here.