FBI investigation into SA’s involvement with Fifa soccer scandal continuing full steam ahead
16 July 2015
The American FBI’s investigation into South Africa’s involvement with the Fifa soccer fraud and in particular the hosting of the 2010 world cup tournament in South Africa is going ahead full steam, Adv. Anton Alberts, the FF Plus’ parliamentary spokesperson on Sport said.
America’s press attaché, Ms. Cynthia Harvey, responding to an inquiry of the FF Plus stated that the investigation is continuing on the highest level.
She said it was an ‘open investigation’ and is so sensitive that all direct questions about it are being dealt with by the justice department of America.
Adv. Alberts says the ANC will soon realise that international scandals and accompanying investigations unlike internal issues cannot be manipulated, ignored or covered up.
The latest developments follow on the Hawks last week confirming that they are also still busy with an investigation on the basis of the complaint that the FF Plus had submitted in the beginning of June. The indictment of the FBI, as it was presented by America’s attorney general was the basis of the complaint.
The FF Plus had requested in particular that allegations that Danny Jordaan, the head of South Africa’s soccer federation (SAFA) and newly appointed mayor of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro had authorised payments.
The role of the former SAFA boss, Molefi Oliphant, who had allegedly written a letter in which he recommended that the money be managed by the former Fifa boss, Jack Warner, is part of the complaint.
In the middle of June the media reported that the Hawks investigation had been stopped, but the Hawks’ spokesperson, Brig. Hangwani Mulaudzi, had confirmed in a letter to the FF Plus that the complaint is being investigated and tat detectives should be given room to do a thorough investigation.
Adv. Alberts says the FF Plus has now written a letter to America’s department of Justice with follow-up questions regarding the investigation.
“We realise that they will not release the detail, but would like to receive confirmation that the South African authorities and police are giving their cooperation with the investigation,” Adv. Alberts says.
Statement issued by Adv. Anton Alberts, FF Plus parliamentary spokesperson: Sport, July 16 2015