Hawks investigating Fifa soccer scandal and America undertakes to break its silence about the issue
10 July 2015
The Hawks are investigating the complaint of the FF Plus about high ranking South Africans being involved in fraud surrounding the Fifa 2010 soccer world cup, despite it being reported earlier that a preliminary investigation was done and not further pursued, Adv. Anton Alberts, the FF Plus’ parliamentary spokesperson on Sport said.
America’s press attaché in South Africa, Ms. Cynthia Harvey, today also undertook to respond to questions of the FF Plus “following talks with responsible individuals” after American personnel have to date refused to talk about the matter.
Regarding the Hawks investigation, Brig. Hangwani Mulaudzi, the Hawks’ spokesperson acknowledged to the FF Plus in an e-mail that the investigation is still continuing and has asked that the detectives ‘be given room to do a thorough investigation’.
He said, amongst others, that the allegations – that South Africa had paid a bribe of $10 million for the right to host the 2010 Soccer World Cup – is of such a nature that it cannot be finalised ‘overnight’ and that feed back about the investigation will be provided in due course.
The FF Plus had at the beginning of last month (June) submitted the complaint and the indictment of the FBI, as it was presented by America’s attorney general was used as basis for the complaint. In the middle of last month it was reported in the media that the investigation had been dropped.
The FF Plus had in particular asked that the allegations that Danny Jordaan, chief of the South African Soccer Federation (SAFA) and newly appointed mayor of the Nelson Mandela Bay Metro had authorised the payment, be investigated in particular.
The role of the former SAFA chief, Molefi Oliphant, who had apparently written a letter to recommend that the money had to be managed by the former Fifa boss, Jack Warner, is part of the indictment.
Adv. Alberts says the FF Plus is delighted that the investigation wasn’t dropped.
“Until the Americans answer our questions, it will be unclear whether it was due to the pressure of the FBI that the Hawks continued with the investigation. The FF Plus will closely monitor the process to ensure that justice triumphs,” Adv. Alberts said.
Statement issued by Adv. Anton Alberts, FF Plus parliamentary spokesperson: Sport, July 10 2015